Sunday, November 26, 2006

Misunderstood

One of the news items that caught my eye today was the recently released National Brand Index survey results. Apparently this is a world wide survey which asks respondents to rank countries in different categories such as tourism, exports, people, culture and heritage etc. Israel apparently has the worst national brand image by a long shot. Turkey came second to last (although I could not find a breakdown of scoring in each category, so I don't know if Turkey did better in individual categories or not). Here's the general image category rankings (as reported in the Turkish Press):

1 - Great Britain19 - China
2 - Germany 20 - Russia
3 - Italy 21 - Brazil
4 - Canada 22 - Hungary
5 - Switzerland 23 - Argentina
6 - France 24 - Singapore
7 - Sweden 25 - India
8 - Japan 26 - Mexico
9 - USA 27 - S. Korea
10 - Australia 28 - Czech Republic
11 - Spain 29 - Egypt
12 - Holland 30 - Poland
13 - Denmark 31 - Malaysia
14 - Norway 32 - S. Africa
15 - New Zealand 33 - Estonia
16 - Belgium 34 - Indonesia
17 - Portugal 35 - Turkey
18 - Ireland 36 - Israel

I am most curious about the methodology of the survey. I wish I could find out which countries the respondents were from and how the 36 countries were selected (for instance why was Greece left off this list? What happened to the Eastern European countries?)

It is interesting to compare this list to tourism statistics (from Wikipedia):

Rank(2004) Nation Millions of tourists in 2003 Millions of tourists in 2004 Change 03-04
1st France 75.0 75.1 +0.1%
2nd Spain 52.5 53.6 +3.4%
3rd United States 40.4 46.1 +11.8%
4th China 33.0 41.8 +26.7%
5th Italy 39.6 37.1 -6.4%
6th U.K. 24.8 27.7 12.3%
7th Hong Kong (China) 15.5 21.8 40.4%
8th Mexico 18.7 20.6 +10.5%
9th Germany 18.4 20.1 +9.5%
10th Austria 19.1 19.4 +1.5%
11th Canada 17.5 19.2 +9.2%
12th Turkey 13.3 16.8 +26.1%

I have to mull over this for awhile. Meanwhile I am open to suggestions that account for the discrepancy between these rankings.

No comments: